Vegan Ceviche with Hearts of Palm
This vegan ceviche recipe is made with hearts of palm instead of fish using all the traditional ingredients making it both delicious and authentic in taste. It's refreshing with each bite, easy to make, and sure to impress!
- 14 oz hearts of palm, drained
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 1-2 limes)
- ⅓ cup white onion, finely diced (about ½ small onion)
- 1 cup roma tomato, deseeded and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Salt to taste (about ¼ tsp)
- Tostadas or tortilla chips for serving
To prepare the hearts in palm, cut them in half longways and then cut in half again longways. Now, dice into medium size chunks and place in a medium bowl.
Pour the lime juice over the hearts of palm and set aside while you prep the rest of the ingredients. Allow the hearts of palm to marinate for at least 10 minutes in the lime juice.
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, serrano pepper, cilantro, and olive oil.
Drain the hearts of palm that have been marinating in the lime juice in a colander and add to the large bowl with the tomato mixture. Next, add the orange juice and gentle toss to combine.
Taste and add more lime if desired and season with salt as needed.
Right before serving gently fold in the diced avocado and top with more chopped cilantro for garnish.
Serve on tostadas or with tortilla chips.
Vegan ceviche is best eaten the day it is made, but it will keep for up to 2 days in the fridge.
*The orange juice can easily be omitted.
*Diced cucumbers could be added to the recipe for variation.
Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.2g | Protein: 2.8g | Fat: 10.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.5g | Sodium: 365mg | Potassium: 475mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2.7g | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 2mg