Savory mashed chickpeas and crisp diced veggies folded together in a creamy dill caper mayo creates this absolutely delicious recipe for Chickpea "Tuna" Salad! It is the perfect topper for a simple green salad or spread for a sandwich.
When you are craving an all time favorite classic, but want it to be vegan, this "tuna" salad is a great choice! It's so good you may even forget that you aren't eating the real thing.
The chickpeas make the perfect substitute for the tuna. The creamy dill caper mayo gives you that salty savory delicious flavor that makes "tuna" salad so yummy. And the crisp diced veggies seal the deal.
Better yet, it only takes about 10 minutes to make. It's an easy lunch for just you or a crowd when served as finger sandwiches. You can even add a scoop of it to a salad to make a complete meal. I sometimes just use it as a dip with pita bread when I'm feeling really lazy.
- Canned Chickpeas- Also called garbanzo beans, you will need one can of rinsed and drained chickpeas.
- Vegan Mayo- Any brand of vegan mayo will work.
- Dijon Mustard- If you don't have dijon mustard you can omit it or use whole grain mustard in its place.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Just a dash of apple cider vinegar will help develop the classed "tuna" salad flavor.
- Fresh Dill Weed- If you don't have fresh dill weed you can use dried dill instead.
- Capers- The saltiness of the capers makes the "tuna" even better.
- Onion- I used brown onion, but any type of onion will work.
- Celery- Make sure to use fresh crisp celery for the best texture.
- Salt- I used sea salt.
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
How To Make Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
Chickpea "Tuna" Salad is really easy to make. All you need is one bowl, a fork, and about 10 minutes!
To begin, you will place a can of rinsed and drained chickpeas into a medium bowl and smash them with a fork until they resemble tuna. You can also do this by pulsing the chickpeas in a food processor. I often use the food processor if I am making a lot.
Next, you will mix the vegan mayo, dijon, apple cider vinegar, fresh dill, and capers together in a small bowl. Then add the vegan mayo along with the diced onions and celery to the mashed chickpeas and fold to combine. Another option is to just add all the ingredients to the smashed chickpeas and stir to combine. I prefer to mix the ingredients in a separate bowl to ensure it's perfectly blended, but it's up to you.
Finally, taste for salt and season as needed. And with that your chickpea "tuna" salad is complete and ready to eat!
The salad can be eaten as a sandwich, salad topper, or even a dip! Use it just like you would traditional tuna salad. It's full of the same great flavor.
How To Store
The chickpea "tuna" salad will keep in the fridge for up to 6 days. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container for the best results. Sadly, this recipe does not freeze.
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that it is really versatile. Feel free to add in chopped pickles, carrots, raisins, nuts, or whatever your taste buds desire. The variations are endless and completely up to you. This is just my favorite way to make this salad.
This vegan Chickpea "Tuna" Salad is amazing because it's...
- A delicious savory salad
- Perfectly seasoned with notes of dill
- Versatile and filling
- Quick and easy to make
I hope you enjoy recipe! You don't have to miss out on this classic every again just because you eat a plant based diet!
More Vegan Salad Ideas
- Easy Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Curried Israeli Couscous Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad with Coconut Bacon
- Vegan Ceviche with Hearts of Palm
If you try this recipe please let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment and rating. You can also hashtag #danceswithknives with a photo of your creation on Instagram where you can find me @dances_with_knives.
If you would like to stay up to date with my latest recipes please subscribe to my email list.
Easy Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 4 to 5 tablespoon vegan mayo (start with 4)
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh dill, chopped (½ teaspoon dried dill)
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, small dice
- ¼ cup celery, small dice
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Then place in a medium bowl and smash with a fork until they resemble “tuna”. You can also do this by pulsing the drained chickpeas in a food processor.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan mayo, dijon, apple cider vinegar, dill, and capers.
- Add the vegan mayo mixture to the chickpeas and stir to combine well.
- Next, fold in the onions and celery.
- Taste for salt and season to your liking.
- Finish with fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve as spread for a sandwich, a salad topper, or even a dip!